Friday, September 10, 2010

In My City

So, I apologize right now for the long posts. There is just a lot of pictures that I want to share. Everything is surprisingly close in New York. You can go out planning to visit one site and you run into all this cool stuff on the way to and from.

Wednesday I set out in search of the Public Library in Manhattan. The big one. I love libraries and so does Brian. Anyways, I was going to go explore a little and then meet Brian at the Library after he got off work. It was fun to just wander around and be in the Big Apple. I ended up waiting the last little bit in Bryant Park, which is right next door to the library. There was this cool fountain that had chairs all around it. So I sat down to cool off in the shade and relax a bit. The wind picked up though and I was sitting on the wrong side of the fountain. All of a sudden, I was getting hit with water, and not just mist. I got a little soaked! Even though it felt really good, I found a better (dry) spot.



This is inside the library. It's a huge building. There are huge hallways on every floor and then smaller rooms off them that are filled with books. For how big it is though, I didn't see a lot of books. They must be hiding them somewhere.


That is Brian at the bottom of the stairs. We found out that you just look up the books on the reference computers and then fill out call slips. You turn these in at the desk, and they 'order' your books. Your number will light up on the board once your books are ready and then you pick them up at the desk. The only problem is that the books in this library cannot be checked out and taken out of the library. You just check them out and take them to the reading room, and once you are finished you hand them back in. Brian was not a happy camper when he discovered this. He looked so confused and when I asked him what was up he said that he had never had such a bad experience at a library before. It really threw him for a loop.


This is the ceiling in the hallways.

Here is the Chrysler Building which you can see on the corner by the library. I like the lights. New York City is very pretty in the dark.


Today we started off by taking the subway to Grand Central Station. This is the outside of the building. I didn't realize it is so big. When you switch subway trains here you never go clear up to the top so it looks just like any other subway terminal. Once you up a floor or two though, it changes.




The ceiling of the terminal had constellations painted across it. You can't see it very good here though.


We then headed up Park Avenue looking for the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. This is St. Bartholomew's Church which is right next door. I liked the big window.


Here is the Waldorf Astoria which is in one of my favorite movies...Serendipity.


Of course I had to go inside. This lovely chandelier is in the lobby.


Today apparently is the first day of Fashion Week here in New York City. There was some event going on at Rockefeller Center to kick things off. We got there before it started, but in time to take pictures on the red carpet. Brian looks a little too much at home here.


Me looking not quite as comfortable.


Here is Brian posing with his buddy Atlas. This giant statue is located just across the street from St. Patrick's Cathedral.



Across the street is St. Patrick's Cathedral. I think it is such a beautiful building.




Not the original Pieta by Michelangelo, but I still thought it was pretty.




This is the General Electric building in Rockefeller Center. It is so tall that there is no way we could get a picture of the whole building with our dinky little camera.




Above the entrance to the GE building at Rockefeller Center.



Statue of Prometheus in Rockefeller Center.


Another shot of the GE Building.

Brian with Lego Atlas. There is a Lego store right near there.



The NBC news is broadcast out of the bottom of the GE building. This is the NBC store right next door. It sells merchandise from the programs on the network. Brian is holding a Dundie Award from The Office.



This was a cute little shop. I loved the window display. Its made with flowers and chocolate...my favorites!


We made a stop at Radio City Music Hall for a quick picture to end our day.

2 comments:

  1. Serendipity?!? Oh pulleeezz! The Waldorf-Astoria is the hotel where your mother-in-law was invited to present her master's thesis research at a medical conference. Isn't there a bronze plaque there about it?

    ReplyDelete